Why does my cat’s breath stink?No animal has minty fresh breath, but neither should you gag when your cat yawns in the face. At Village Vet of Urbana, we have treated many cases of cats with foul odors and we are confident we can help.If cat breath bothers you, contact the Village Vet of Urbana at (301) 228-0681.
What causes a cat’s breath to smell?
Chronic bad breath, or halitosis, has many potential causes, including:
- Bacterial build-up: Odor-producing bacteria that grow on a cat’s teeth and gums are most likely the culprit behind bad breath. Too much bacteria can happen if you don’t clean your pet’s teeth, allowing tartar and plaque to build up.
- Diet: Do you feed your cat a lot of fish? If so, fishy burps could be the reason your cat’s breath smells bad.
- Basic health problems: Halitosis has been linked to a number of medical conditions, from abnormalities in the mouth to respiratory diseases to gastrointestinal, liver or kidney problems.
Don’t ignore your cat’s bad breath. It could be a sign of something much more serious. To speak with a veterinarian about cat breath, contact the Village of Urbana Veterinarian at (301) 228-0681.
When to treat bad breath for cats?
If left untreated, your cat’s bad breath can worsen and lead to serious health problems. To prevent this, look out for the following signs that you should talk to your veterinarian about your cat’s halitosis:
- Brown teeth: Tartar buildup causes your cat’s teeth to turn brown, especially near the gum line. This problem definitely needs attention if it is accompanied by drooling, gingivitis and difficulty eating.
- Sweet or fruity breath: This may seem better than the stench coming out of your pet’s mouth, but sugary breath can be a sign of diabetes in cats, especially if your cat also drinks and urinates more often.
- Ammonia breath: The smell of urine in your cat’s mouth can be a symptom of kidney disease.
- Vomiting, loss of appetite, or yellow eyes and gums: See your vet right away if your cat has bad breath accompanied by these symptoms as they could be signs of a serious liver problem.
If your cat has any of these symptoms, call us at (301) 228-0681 or contact us online. We’ll help you determine why your cat’s breath is bad and what you can do to fix it.
How to prevent cat bad breath?
If you notice that your cat’s breath is starting to smell, you can prevent the problem from getting worse. Whether you’re trying to reverse bad breath in your cat or you want to prevent it in your pet, follow these tips:
- Schedule regular vet visits: Your vet can check for health problems that can cause bad breath and perform a professional dental cleaning to remove tartar and plaque build-up. If you have specific concerns about your cat’s breath, you can take them to the vet.
- Brush your cat’s teeth: You can promote fresh breath and healthy teeth between professional cleanings by brushing your cat’s teeth every day.
- Adjust your cat’s diet: Talk to your veterinarian about how you can prevent your cat’s bad breath by varying your pet’s food while ensuring proper nutrition.
Dental health often goes unnoticed in cats, so by paying attention to their breath and proper oral hygiene, you can help prevent further decay.Ready to take the next step toward improving your cat’s bad breath? Schedule a professional teeth cleaning at Village Vet of Urbana today!
Visit Urbana Veterinary Village to diagnose your cat’s bad breath
Visiting your veterinarian is the only way to know for sure what is causing your cat’s bad breath. Not only can we find the source of the problem, but we can also recommend a personalized treatment plan.Choose Village Vet of Urbana for all of your cat’s veterinary care needs in Frederick County, including dental services! To have the rest of your questions answered or to schedule a visit, please fill out the contact form on this page.
Last, Wallx.net sent you details about the topic “Why Does My Cat’s Breath Stink?❤️️”.Hope with useful information that the article “Why Does My Cat’s Breath Stink?” It will help readers to be more interested in “Why Does My Cat’s Breath Stink? [ ❤️️❤️️ ]”.
Posts “Why Does My Cat’s Breath Stink?” posted by on 2021-08-11 23:24:10. Thank you for reading the article at wallx.net